We've had a tough winter, so everyone's looking forward to spring. However, along with the milder weather, the flowers, and the burst of green comes a new crop of allergens. While most of us expect to encounter allergens outdoors, we can also be afflicted indoors. Our airtight homes can actually be host to several different kinds of allergens beyond pollen. Read on to learn how to get rid of allergens in your home.
How to Get Rid of Allergens in Your Home
As you consider how to get rid of allergens in your home, remember that the types of allergens that may be building up inside come from varied sources. Among the most common allergens are:
- Pet dander
- Mold, fungus, and mildew
- Dust mites and various insect parts
- Volatile organic compounds, or VOCs, which result from off-gassing of substances such as solvents, thinner, paint, pressed-wood products, dry-cleaned clothing and other sources.
So how to get rid of allergens in your home? Attack allergens at the source. Here are some of the best preventative measures:
- Pet dander. Brush your pet before letting it in the house.
- Pollen. Brush off your clothes and shoes before entering your home. You may also remove clothes upon entering the home, putting them in a plastic bag until you can wash them.
- Dust mites. These flourish in heat and dampness. Fix leaks from plumbing. Vacuum the carpet frequently. Wash linens in warm water.
- Mold, fungus, and mildew. Again, address moisture issues in your home as soon as you notice them. If you have a serious outbreak of mold or mildew, look into some type of mold remediation.
- VOCs. Air out pressed-wood products and dry-cleaned clothing before bringing it indoors. Move products that off-gas VOCs out of the house. Cap VOC-laden products tightly and put them away in cabinets.
Another recommendation for how to get rid of allergens in your home is to use a quality HVAC filter. Ask your HVAC consultant about air purifiers.
For more information on how to get rid of allergens in your home, contact Aggressive Mechanical Contractors.