They say knowledge is power, and that’s certainly accurate when it comes to your air conditioner. While challenging repairs are best left to professionals, it’s helpful to have a rudimentary understanding of your air conditioner and how to solve common AC issues.
Understanding how your AC works and the typical problems it faces will enable you to tackle simple problems without needing to call an HVAC specialist every time. This not only saves you dollars on minor service calls, but realizing when to reach out to a professional can help prevent small issues from escalating into catastrophic repairs.
Your AC is an essential part of your home comfort. Because of that, you should always err on the side of caution and call a NATE-certified specialist for air conditioning repair in Neptune City if you're uncertain about any aspect of your air conditioner's operation or maintenance.
Here are some frequent questions people ask our experts about their air conditioners:
1. How Do I Clean an Air Conditioner?
Cleaning your AC is an effective way to make sure it runs efficiently, and potentially could extend the life of your unit.
The most significant step you can take on your own is to replace the air filter in your air conditioner. The filter traps dust, pollen, pet hair and other debris, and removes those particulates from the air circulating throughout your home. If your AC filter becomes plugged, the air conditioner has to work harder than it should in order to pull air through the filter. A clean filter traps the airborne debris while still enabling air to flow freely through the system.
Replacement filters are sold at most leading home improvement stores, hardware stores or can be ordered from your local HVAC professional. A good way to make sure you get the proper filter is to look at your old one before you go shopping, noting the size of the filter. If you’re not familiar with filters, it’s also a smart idea to note the filtration level of the current filter if you are trying to buy something similar.
For thorough service of your air conditioner, contact the seasoned professionals like the crew at Aggressive Mechanical to do scheduled maintenance on your unit. They’ll inspect your system, clean or lubricate parts that need it and look for worn-out parts and potential issues.
2. How Do I Clean Air Conditioner Coils?
In addition to making certain that your indoor air conditioner equipment is functioning efficiently, it’s necessary to tend to your outdoor unit. Cleaning the coils on the exterior unit of your AC is a quick way to boost its efficiency and can extend the life of your entire system.
The coils, which have extensions called fins, are used to release heat from the refrigerant into the outside air. This cools the refrigerant, which then goes back into your home so it can soak up more heat from the air in your home's interior. Cleansing the fins and the coils is a way to help them release heat more easily.
To clean your air conditioner’s fins and coil:
1) First, turn off power to the outdoor unit. It’s best to flip the power switch off, rather than turning the thermostat off.
2) Remove the top of the outdoor AC so you can enter the inside of the unit. Then, taking care not to pull hard on any cords or attachments, safely set the top to the side.
3) Apply a cleaning solution on the fins, beginning at the top and moving down. Commercial coil cleaners are sold and commonly found in both the canned aerosol spray from as well as brands foaming solutions that are sprayed on with an attachment to your garden hose.
4) Follow directions on the product to apply. For most products, it's recommended that you spray the product on, let the cleaner soak in for a short period of time to dissolve the grime and then softly spray it off with a garden hose. Be cautious not to spray too hard, because that could harm the coils or fins!
5) Secure the top back on the unit and then wait for the components to dry before turning it back on.
3. How Long Do Air Conditioners Last?
The life span of an air conditioner changes depending on the type of unit, its quality, if maintained and how frequently it's used. That said, pros say you should start looking into air conditioner replacement after about 12-15 years.
One of the best ways to make the most of your HVAC is through regular conditioner maintenance. Maintenance service from Aggressive Mechanical features cleaning and inspecting the machinery, as well as putting in a new filter and fixing any worn-out or broken parts. To keep your unit operating as long as it can, call us today to schedule air conditioning maintenance in Neptune City.
4. What Size Air Conditioner Do I Need?
Choosing the proper size of air conditioner for your home is critical for keeping comfort and efficiency. Here are some factors to consider when deciding what size air conditioner to buy for your home:
- Square footage: The size of the space you want to cool is one of the biggest factors. Bigger spaces demand more cooling power.
- Home insulation: Well-insulated homes preserve cool air better, which should reduce your cooling needs.
- Climate: If you are living in a hotter climate, you'll need a more powerful air conditioner compared to a person living in a cooler place.
- Number of windows: Windows can let in heat, especially when they're south-facing or not well-insulated.
- Number of occupants: More people in the house means greater body heat, which could impact your cooling needs.
- Existing HVAC system: The size and productivity of your current system can provide a starting point for identifying what you need.
Due to the fact the size of your air conditioner is so essential to your home’s comfort, you will definitely want a professional opinion. At Aggressive Mechanical, we take the time to completely understand your family’s lifestyle, comfort needs and the many other variables such as your home’s layout and size. This attention to detail and focus on customer service is why Aggressive Mechanical is known for superb air conditioning installation in Neptune City.
5. How Much Does an Air Conditioner Cost?
While prices fluctuate depending on the type of the unit and your home’s unique specifications, a new AC generally costs between $5,000 and $12,500 to purchase and install. The good news is that new air conditioners are crafted to be extremely efficient, so they do more with less power when compared to older units.
The price tag of an air conditioner is affected by several factors during the manufacturing process, such as the cost and availability of raw materials, manufacturing and labor costs in addition to federal regulations that can impact the design.
Know these are average costs and prices can vary. It's always a good idea to get numerous quotes from reliable HVAC companies before making a decision. If you’re interested in air conditioning replacement in Neptune City, reach out to Aggressive Mechanical. We can provide you with a free estimate, explain the plan and help connect you with available rebates or discounts.
6. What Causes an Air Conditioner to Freeze Up?
Air conditioning freezing up can be due to a variety of factors, all of which boil down to the system's inability to efficiently transfer heat. If your unit is having issues causing it to freeze up, it is more than likely time for air conditioning repair.
Here are some common reasons for AC freezing up:
- Poor airflow: If the air isn't flowing properly through your AC system, it can't adequately absorb heat. This could be due to a dirty air filter, obstructed return air ducts or a failing fan.
- Low refrigerant levels: If your air conditioner is getting low on refrigerant, it may grow too cold and freeze up. This is often because of leaking in the refrigerant lines.
- Frosty outdoor temperatures: Running an air conditioner when it's too cold outside can cause the system to freeze. Most units aren't designed to operate in temperatures of less than 60 degrees Fahrenheit (15 degrees Celsius).
- Mechanical failures: Broken thermostats, damaged blower motors and problems with the relay or control board can all contribute to an AC unit freezing up.
Aggressive Mechanical is the Respected Source for Air Conditioning Service in Neptune City.
At Aggressive Mechanical, we strive to make your home a comfortable and soothing place. Our skilled professionals are up-to-date on the latest industry training and trends, and work on on a wide variety of systems. That’s why community members make us their first call for air conditioning repair in Neptune City and nearby cities.
If you’re looking to upgrade or its time for a replacement, we’ve got you covered there too, with our top-notch air conditioning installation in Neptune City. No matter what, we can help you solve your cooling issues!
Phone Aggressive Mechanical today at 732-806-5536 to schedule an appointment or free estimate!