You’re in the middle of the coldest week of winter and you wake up shaking in a pile of blankets in bed. The first thing you think is, “Why in the world has my furnace not kicked on?” Of course, you don’t want to end up in a situation like this where it feels like you’re predestined to suffer until morning to arrange furnace repair, but there are a handful of things you can check, as well as a few things you can do, to stay on your toes and have a plan for a predicament like this.
Before You Experience Problems:
- Furnace service. Cold nights and furnace repair can’t always be avoided, but having annual furnace service completed can help you avert a chilly situation.
- Gather supplies. Find some room in a closet, drawer or another handy area for blankets, a space heater, gloves, hats and any number of other accessories to keep you toasty while your furnace isn’t running. It may seem annoying or unnecessary now, but it will be nice when you need it most.
After You Suspect Your Furnace Quit Running:
- Check the circuit breaker. There’s a chance that the breaker to your furnace could have been tripped by a power surge or for a different reason. If this occurs, turn the breaker back on and you could be set. If the breaker is tripped and you have flipped it back on but your furnace still isn’t operating, give us a call to arrange an appointment for furnace repair.
- Layer up and get cozy. That list of supplies we recommended above will come in handy here. Layers can help you preserve body heat so you can stay cozy while waiting for your technician. Also, try to find something to do to keep your blood pumping, as more activity can help keep you cozy.
- Stay safe. Employing something other than your furnace to heat your home can pose potential danger depending on the method you’re choosing. It’s important to remember to never choose heating methods developed for outdoor use – i.e. kerosene heaters, grills, or any other carbon monoxide producing methods. If you need to use a secondary method, electric space heaters, fireplaces or wood stoves are your go-tos.
No one wants to put up with furnace repair in the middle of winter after their furnace has gone out, but the possibility is real if you don’t take the correct steps. Give the team at Aggressive Mechanical a call at 732-806-5536 if you have any questions about these tips, the furnace repair services available or any other number of heating questions.