While winter seems like it’s already been around for much too long, its effect on our heating bill is just beginning. Achieving low energy costs during the coldest months of the year can be challenging, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to possibly lower those costs. That’s why we’ve developed a few furnace tips to help stave off high heating bills.
To begin reducing your heating bills and enhancing your energy efficiency this winter, consider:
- Keeping your blinds open during the warmest parts of the day to let sunlight in, heating your home naturally.
- Sealing cracks and crevices around your home’s windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Purchasing a programmable thermostat so that you can more easily control the temperature in your home, which will also enhance energy efficiency.
- Cleaning or replacing your furnace filter every few months.
- Checking your home's heating vents to ensure they are open and aren’t blocked by any obstructions
- Replacing your old furnace with a newer, more efficient model if you’ve had your current furnace for more than 15 years.
- Putting insulation in your attic to keep warm air from escaping.
- Checking your roof to ensure your shingles are intact, and that there aren’t holes or cracks that will need to be sealed.
Attempting to keep your energy bills low and energy efficiency high, is a year-round practice, one that can seem overwhelming at times. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t do a few small things to make sure you’re keeping your bills as low as possible. If you have any questions related to the tips above or questions about how you can decrease your heating bills, give us a buzz at 732-806-5536. Our experts are here to help make sure your home is comfortable all year long, even with the crazy Neptune City weather.